- Construction: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Voting ends: 1:30 pm
- Race starts: 2:00 pm
BOAT BUILDING MATERIALS (PROVIDED)
- 2 sheets of 3/8” x 4’ x 8’ plywood
- 12 pieces of 1” x 2” x 8’ lumber
- 2 pieces of 2” x 2” x 8’ lumber
- 2 lbs of 1” and/or 1 ¼” (depending on donations) sheet rock screws
- 1 lbs of 1 " roofing nails
- 1 roll of duct tape
- 3 tubes of caulking
- 25’ of poly rope
- 1 piece of poly sheeting (9’ x 10’)
- Teams will consist of a maximum of 4 members, pre-registered.
- Building time is 3 hours, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Only the provided materials may be incorporated into the boat, with the exception of decorations - these may not be structural. Sawhorses, tarps and poles may be used but must remain ashore during the race.
- The Boat must be built using ONLY non-power tools, with the exception of battery-powered screw guns for driving screws.
- Drawings are okay but NO full size patterns.
- Team members (minimum one) must power the boat. No motors permitted. Paddles or oars must be made from materials provided.
- Racers must wear Personal Flotation Devices. A bailing device must be carried in the boat during the race (provided).
The competition is held on Saturday, April 8th and starts promptly at 10:00 AM.
Teams will be able to enter the Festival Grounds at 8:30 AM. It is suggested your team arrives before 9:00 AM.
No festival tickets are required for team members. All team members will have their name on a pre-entry list at the ticket booth. No family members will be admitted without a ticket or name on the list.
Upon entering the grounds, check in at the Wooden Boat Challenge (WBC) booth. It will be located close to the launching ramp area. All of your building supplies will be dispensed from there and you will be shown to your building area.
Your vehicle will be permitted on the festival grounds to drop off tools, equipment and supplies. Your vehicle must be moved and parked off the grounds during the festival. The parking location will be determined that morning.
Tools and Materials
Bring your own tools. The only power tools allowed are battery operated drill/screw guns. (Don’t forget Phillips head screw bit (s) for your screw gun.) All hand tools, jigs, plans (no full sized templates allowed), tables, saw horses, clamps, staple guns (don’t forget staples), caulking guns, chalk lines, tape measures, saws, hammers, chisels, adzes, planes, etc. are allowed and encouraged.
Bring decorating items, including latex paint, signs, etc. You may decorate the boat, as long as no item positively affects the performance of the boat. You are also encouraged to decorate your building site, and of course costumes are a plus, but not required.
You will be supplied a bailing device, usually a small container.
REQUIRED: You MUST bring regulation life jackets for your paddling team. (The paddling team can consist only of one to four members of your construction team.)
The building period stops at 1:00 PM.
There is a 60 minute break before the first race. You may use this time to continue decorating and/or test your boat until 1:30 PM. Please do not venture past the launching ramp dock area, i.e. don’t go out past the end of the docks! After the building period, the only allowed boat repairs will be the application of duct tape to repair leaks.
Due to unforeseeable weather, the race course will be decided by 1:30 PM on the day of the race.
If weather prohibits a water race, a foot race will be held. Team members will carry their boats for a short foot race. (This has never happened but we need to be prepared, so don’t forget your sneakers.)
You will be required to remove your boat from the festival site by 6:00 PM the same day. Please contact us ahead of time if there is a problem with removing your boat that day.
We would like to suggest that teams bring water and snack lunch as there most likely not be time for team members to wait in a concession line at the festival. As previously mentioned the weather is unforeseeable so please come prepared for a variety of weather conditions. We have had rain and sun in past years, so sunscreen is also suggested.
We strongly suggest you have your families and friends attend the festival to cheer your team on. Festival attendees will vote for their favorite team, and the winning team will earn the ever-popular “People’s Choice Award” Trophy.
Family Members must pay the festival entrance fee, even if they come to the festival early with you. Pre-sale tickets are available. Ask us for details.
If you have questions contact us.
We thank you for your participation.
Mike Lewis, Lori Jamieson, Patti Collins, Starr Swindt
Wooden Boat Challenge Event Committee